prng change feedback

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Oct 6 01:11:53 UTC 2017

Hi RS,

On Thu, Oct 05, 2017 at 05:20:21AM -0700, ringsignature at riseup.net wrote:
> On 2017-10-05 11:09, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> > What about an attacker firing endless events that cause us to generate new
> > TMSIs and ends up exhausting the entropy pool? AFAIK that's a real possibility?
>
> Could you quantify that? What is the process by which an attacker would
> be able to cause new TMSI generation? Does it require interactivity from
> them or can they simply flood OpenBSC with a packet that triggers a the
> creation of a TMSI? If such a flood is possible, that suggests a
> security problem at the least and a possible entropy problem.

Well, it probably depends on the interface the attacker has access to
(Radio/Backhaul/...) and hence the threat model.

A TMSI is allocated at many possible transactions, but all of them
[should, in a sane implementation!] require authentication first, so it
requires interactivity and is not just a simple flood.

> How much random data does OpenBSC currently use in a given period of
> time, say one day?

I think for all practical installations outside of an attack scenario
that we know of, it's very little.

> What are the system requirements for OpenBSC with regard to a hardware
> rng or manual seeding?

We don't publish hardware requirements.

> Does OpenBSC only run on Linux or BSD systems with the getrandom()
> interface?

We don't officially support or build test on anything but Ubuntu >=
16.04, Debian >= 8 and FreeBSD >= 10.3.  We of course don't know what
people decide to run the code on, in the end.

> Does OpenBSC store random seed data between boots?

Not our code.  That's a task of the OS, no?