what is bumpversion used for?

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Oct 4 12:59:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 01:33:51PM +0200, Max wrote:
> It is human choice - you'll have to explicitly call "make release" to get the version
> bumped.
>
> What bumpversion does is helping to automate the boring details of it:
> - determine current version (provided it matches the semver spec)
> - pick next version number (according to semver spec)

How does it pick the next version number, i.e. how do I tell it whether to bump
major/minor/patch versions? Ah, I see in "Make a new release" wiki page:

  make REL=minor release

Personally, I find it rather trivial to pick a number, which would also allow
manual version skips that we might see necessary for hypothetical reasons. As
in

  make REL=2.0.1 release

If we did this, would we still use bumpversion for other tasks?
Semver validation could also be a simple regex.

If it's only us needing that program to make a release that's fine dependency
wise, so far I'm just probing what it is used for.

> - commit the changes to git

It's not bumpversion that does the commit though, right. Anyway:

What changes get committed during 'make release':
- does it empty the TODO-RELEASE?
- does it bump LIBVERSION API versions? (probably not, right?)
- does it edit the debian changelog?

> - tag the release commit

Ah, so the signed git tag is now done automatically?  Also I see on the wiki
page that it may be necessary to re-tag the release after review, anyway. Maybe
tagging the release should not happen automatically? I'd rather not add my
official personal signature to a tag before reviewing.  I also may need to pass
a GPG key ID to the tagging to sign with the proper key, I guess it's simpler
and less dangerous to leave it as a manual step...?

What do you think?
Thanks,

~N

P.S.: I'm still meaning to review the release hands-on and adjust the wiki
page, but I'm simply not getting all the things done that need attention at the
moment :/