default point codes

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Fri Nov 24 03:28:46 UTC 2017

Looking at https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Point_Codes

OsmoMSC currently uses 0.23.1 for A-and-Iu,
and 0.23.2 for Iu only if Iu is on a different cs7 instance than A (i.e.
practically never).

Either way that doesn't really make sense to me. If OsmoMSC is connecting to
the same STP for A and Iu, it is sufficient to have one point-code for the two
SSNs for A (BSSAP) and Iu (RANAP) and hence use one cs7 instance for both.

If it is connecting to two different STPs, the point codes do not collide
anyway, and it makes no sense to use a different one for Iu. It only confuses
the defaults, e.g. the wiki page was wrong until I fixed it just now.

I would rather have just 0.23.1 for the MSC for all SSNs.

See ss7_setup() in msc_main.c.

Agreed?

~N