PCU socket in OsmoNITB breaks osmo-gsm-tester

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Sun May 28 23:12:29 UTC 2017

> commit b4999b60d48bcbb5aa575973d068e07ab672e095
> Author: Philipp Maier <pmaier at sysmocom.de>
> Date:   Wed Oct 26 15:19:41 2016 +0200
>
>     pcu_sock: add basic pcu interface support
>
>     Adds a basic version of a pcu socket interface, similar
>     to the one that can be found in osmo-bts.
>
>     Change-Id: Ib13cb4099d12fa71e9e0b8727e19ab29e11909b2

This commit adds PCU sockets to OsmoNITB, but these are not configurable,
which is a problem for the osmo-gsm-tester. We cannot have separate OsmoNITB
processes all write to /tmp/pcu_bts, their paths needs to be configurable.

Also they seem to not be cleaned up when the process exits. I now see failures
of OsmoNITB starting because the /tmp/pcu_bts is still present. This appears
when a different user attempts to start an OsmoNITB, i.e. I had a successful
run with the 'jenkins' user and am then trying as 'neels'. I guess the PCU
socket file should be cleaned up on exit??

The third point is that I don't understand why the OsmoNITB or the OsmoBSC need
PCU sockets. The commit log does not explain that unfortunately.

I would like this commit to be reverted until the location is configurable, so
that the osmo-gsm-tester can continue to run across several users. (and several
NITBs at once, which we're not using yet, but in principle could want to.)

I have a ticket for this in the OsmoGSMTester project, we may need to move it
to a different parent project or create a new ticket:
https://osmocom.org/issues/2293

~N