RFC: speed up gerrit verifications by using dependency artifacts

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Thu Mar 30 15:20:15 UTC 2017

> On 30. Mar 2017, at 10:17, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Andre,

Hey!

> just a heads-up about my complete absence from jenkins/CI related
> discussions: That doesn't mean I'm not interested, it just means that
> I'm happy to defer the decisions on this to those who understand
> anything about it (which I don't claim to), i.e. currently most likely
> Neels and Holger.

I was very happy to see it. One nice aspect of running in a namespace
is that all jobs can install to /somedir without interfering with each
other. This makes caching intermediate results easy and as shown by
Andre a nice speed-up!

I try to look at it over the next couple of days. My uneducated questions
right now would be. Why not use the archive artifact feature of jenkins?
Why do we need to keep more than one? In general we build all software
against master of libraries (e.g. even for the 3G support).

But this feature is something we want, no need to rebuild software that
has not changed. :)

holger