plan for openbsc.git split and code review

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Jul 11 19:09:37 UTC 2017

Hi Neel,s

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 05:33:14PM +0200, Neels Hofmeyr wrote:
> I am currently setting up separate repositories to replace openbsc.git.

great.

> The libmgcp has so far been internal to openbsc.git. I intend to make it an
> installed library from osmo-mgw.git (similar to libosmo-ranap from
> osmo-iuh.git), as libosmo-mgcp.  libmgcp is used by MSC and BSC to communicate
> with osmo-mgw (osmo-bsc_mgcp).  Also by osmo-bsc_nat, which I had actually not
> been aware of until now.

I think we have to be careful to review its API in detail before making
it a public, system-installed library where we have to deal with API or
ABI breakage of anything we modify later on.

One idea that Holger formerly pursued with libsccp.a was to only have
static libraries - we might revisit that idea if we cannot go through
related API review.

> libiu, shared between MSC and SGSN, has already moved to osmo-iuh.

I presume it is then called libosmo-iu ?

> The other thing the MSC and SGSN still share is the GSUP client. The GSUP
> protocol code has already moved to libosmocore, but the gsup_client is still in
> openbsc. I believe it is appropriate to move the gsup_client along to
> libosmocore, even though the notion so far has been to keep it out of there.

The problem is again API/ABI stability.  It restricts the way we can use
code, and I would prefer to avoid constraining ourselves...

> Otherwise we either duplicate the gsup_client or need another separate
> libosmo-gsupclient.

I don't like the latter part.

> Code review:
>
> We can review in various ways. I believe the least troublesome would be this:
> - create osmo-msc git from the current openbsc.
> - remove the top level 'openbsc' dir.
> - go through all of the patches in gerrit to apply to 'master', which will
>   apply the VLR+HLR, then 3G and then AoIP, across all of MSC, BSC, SGSN and MGW,
>   all of these in osmo-msc.git.
> - the state thus reached is the basis for the split. Copy this to osmo-*.git
> - in each separate git, remove the files not needed for that particular project.
>   Remove possible remaining code duplication as we go.

makes sense.

> So far I'm keeping the gits privately on a sysmocom office machine. We could
> also open up new osmo-* repositories on gerrit and git.osmocom.org now.

No need to keep it private.  Feel free to put it on git.osmocom.org.

Good luck!