proper way to change network time/timezone

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Wed Aug 23 17:40:51 UTC 2017

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 04:34:21PM +0800, Mille Fiore wrote:
> Hello openbsc community!
>
> We are encountering the ff issue: When using basic phones, we have observed
> that the timestamps on the SMS are in UTC, even if we changed the linux
> system timezone to a different one.

This sounds like it may be fixed by the recently merged patch, which changes
the SMS' time stamp from UTC to the server's local time:
https://gerrit.osmocom.org/3551
(This came to my attention because yesterday I noticed msc_vlr unit tests
exhibiting differing H-M-S values for a timestamp of zero and needing
adjustment.)

It should already be effective in the nightly builds.
https://osmocom.org/projects/cellular-infrastructure/wiki/Nightly_Builds

> Also, if the basic phone will do an
> auto-update of date and time from the network, it will use the time in UTC.

(not sure about this one, might be worth opening an issue for on osmocom.org)

> Do you have suggestions on how to change the network timezone configuration
> for the osmo-nitb? There is a timezone command mentioned in the osmo-nitb
> vty reference manual (timezone <-19-19> (0|15|30|45), ex. timezone 8 0 ).
>
> If we put that config under the BTS level (in osmo-nitb.cfg), osmo-nitb
> will complain that there is a config error. If we put that under the
> network level, osmo-nitb does not complain, but it doesn't seem to work as
> expected.

To prepare for the (almost complete) move to separate osmo-msc and osmo-bsc
processes, I have moved the timezone settings up from BTS level to the 'net'
level:
https://git.osmocom.org/openbsc/commit/?id=7398395cc01977aa9b41c2d433b487154b60ce2a
However, I'm not that familiar with what effect it has. All I can say is that
the timezone configured on network level is used in all places where previously
the bts timezone setting was employed.

~N

--
- Neels Hofmeyr <nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de>          http://www.sysmocom.de/