UMTS-Stick on nano3G?

Andreas Mueller andreas.mueller at criticallabs.org
Fri Apr 7 17:52:15 UTC 2017

	Hello,

today the UMTS-USB-stick established a successfull IP-connection on the first attempt, but further attempts failed. When comparing packet-dumps of a successful and a failed connection-attempt and looking and the RANAP and GTP-packages I saw, that on the failed connection-attempts the UMTS-Stick is not authorized and on the successful attempt at first a location-update is made and then the authentification, which succeeds.
Adding the command "AT+CREG" to wvdial.conf seems to solve the problem. Then I can see an "Routing Area Update Request" which is rejected then the authorization happens (Attach, Identity, Authentication) and the IP-connection is successfully established!

Here is a working wvdial.conf for the huawei E1823:

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = AT^U2DIAG=0
Init2 = AT+CREG
Init3 = ATZ
Init4 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","web.blubb.xy"
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 9600
New PPPD = yes
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Stupid mode = 1
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99#
Password = none
Username = none

It takes very long (>30 seconds) until ppp0 receives the IP-config but afterwards it is working with 6625 kBit/s down- and 580kBit/s upstream.

	greetings,

		Andreas