[RFC] Coding Style: Longer Line Lengths?

Neels Hofmeyr nhofmeyr at sysmocom.de
Mon Apr 3 12:34:48 UTC 2017

On Mon, Apr 03, 2017 at 10:25:50AM +0200, Max wrote:
> Hell yeah!
>
> The 120 would be a dream come true :)
>
> I use emacs to visibly mark current 80 chars limit and it's about 1/3 screen
> estate on my rather old monitor.
>
> On a related note: have anyone tried to use
> https://www.gnu.org/software/indent/manual/indent.html already to make more
> formal specification of what Osmocom coding style is?

Could be nice to have this in the light of:
http://programmer.97things.oreilly.com/wiki/index.php/Automate_Your_Coding_Standard
We would have a bunch of cosmetic commits to once apply a consistent style
everywhere from 'indent', and we'd probably have an amount of bikesheds
until we agree on a specific 'indent' configuration. From then on we would
have a guaranteed fixed coding style. But we'll probably also have to do
many more patch edits from breaking the style in gerrit submissions, and
it would also erase the comfort of being able to let a cosmetic issue slip
by. 'indent' is only useful if all code already adheres to its style
(otherwise it adds numerous unrelated cosmetic changes).  Would have been
nice, but not sure if it's worth the added effort to introduce it now...

~N