Migration of GSUP HLR code

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Nov 11 10:11:00 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I have just moved the Osmocom GSUP HLR code from the really unrelated
ancient osmo-auc.git repository into its own osmo-hlr.git repository.

The GSUP HLR is a stand-alone HLR for SIM and USIM based subscribers
which exposes the GSUP protocol towards its users.  Currently in
openbsc master, there is OsmoSGSN which supports this protocol.

There is ongoing work to remove the HLR from OsmoNITB and make it access
the GSUP HLR asynchronously.  I originally intended to complete this
in summer this year,but was constantly delayed due to various other
tasks :/

Neels is now coming to the rescue and is in charge of moving this ahead
to get it ready to merge.

The osmo-gsup-hlr is still very simplistic.  It's a single-threaded
architecture and uses only sqlite3 tables as back-end.  It is suitable
for installations of the scale that OsmoNITB was able to handle.  It
also lacks various features like fine-grained control of subscribed
services (like supplementary services).  The most important goal for
osmo-gsup-hlr is to be a replacement for the HLR code we'r removing from
good old OsmoNITB.  It is *not* supposed to be a fully-featured GSM HLR.

One of the advantages of having the GSUP protocol for both CS and PS
side is that there could be other, more scalable/powerful
implementations of the HLR that can just be swapped in.