OsmoTRX / BER, RSSI and Link Quality

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 18:36:13 UTC 2016

Hi Harald,

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org> wrote:
> The first part is to introduce a reasonable BER limit fo 17% for RACH
> ghost elimination, but I have more plans for unifying the measurement
> processing/generation accross all supported BTS models.
>
> For osmo-bts-{sysmo,lc15,octphy} it is clear to me how to get the
> related information on RSSI, BER and LinkQuality for each of the RACH
> and DATA indications from the PHY.
>
> However, how can I get the related information from osmo-bts-trx?
>
> osmo-bts-trx seems to lack any BER reporting toward the common part,
> which among other things is the reason why link/rate adaption in the PCU
> can not work with it.

I introduced BER calculations in osmo-bts-trx some time ago for DATA,
so the data is there - see gsm0503_coding.c, *_decode() functions. I
also updated the code to pass this information to upper layers - see
rx_tchf_fn(), rx_tchh_fn(), rx_pdtch_fn() in scheduler_trx.c. I tested
that the data actually gets to measurement reports for TCH and SDDCH,
but I don't remember if we tested this for GPRS. Are you sure it
doesn't work with the current master? If so, it probably got broken
during the rebase or after that.

I didn't do that for RACH, because currently RACH gating is performed
in osmo-trx and works pretty well as far as I can tell, so
osmo-bts-trx gets RACH's which are valid with high probability.

We can introduce an option to turn osmo-trx built-in RACH gating and
rely on osmo-bts instead and then compare which one works better. That
should be a minor change - I'm happy to implement this a bit later.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves, Inc.
https://fairwaves.co