How to test the debian packages?

Holger Freyther holger at freyther.de
Thu Jan 7 06:58:14 UTC 2016

Good Morning,

Max has brought up the topic of somehow testing the debian packages and I wonder
what aspects we need to test it. Ideally we would test:

(a) Building a new version of everything against the last packages we have built to find
wrong minimum versions.
(b) Create source packages and build everything.
(c) Try to upgrade services and check something is respawned and the config file is
compatible.

(a) is a complicated mess. We do add new interfaces, versions to the development version
of libraries and we don't want to bump the SO_VERSION and such until we make a release.
So this item will always break.

(b) Is quite easy. When making a release we should open the changelog with version+1 and
not being released and then make nightly source packages and upload them to the OpenSUSE
build service and see how it fails.

(c) Is possible but a bit tricky again. We need to do this for each service (e.g. nitb and bsc
share the same VTY, OML, RSL port and are mutual exclusive).

Max is probably aiming for (b) and I think it is not that needed. I tend to make releases and build
packages and the breakage is quite small from release to release. I think there would be real
value in (c) but that requires some work that we will probably not have time for in Q1.

holger