GPRS, EDGE support

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 23:32:32 UTC 2014

Csaba,

We use UmTRX routinely to develop GPRS code for OpenBSC and it works well.
I can't say much about other SDR equipment, but we have some timing related
bugs with USRP1 based devices of one of our customers.

Regarding the official OpenBTS GPRS code - we've never tried to run it, but
looking into the code, it lacks quite a few features the OpenBSC
implementation has.

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 1:01 AM, Sipos Csaba <dchardware at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Thanks for the info!
>

> At least now I know, that the GPRS/EDGE is part of the OpenBTS code, so
> any hardware is OK for packet data which can run OpenBTS. That is good news.
>

> Anyway, it is just an educated guess, but don't you think your problem
> with GPRS is related to timing? My experience with real life networks
> clearly shows that even a slight timing related problem or inaccuracy can
> led to something like that.
>

> My other experience is with R&S CMW500, which I used with a little
> external antenna and encountered the same problem. After a few meters even
> the voice calls started to drop with -60 RSSI. The reason was obvious: the
> device lacks any filters on the input chain (it is designed for production
> mode), and when all the received RF energy hits the receiver from all the
> bands, it causes problems like that. And the packet data was way more
> sensitive to this than voice calls. After installing proper filters, the
> problem is gone.
>

> BR,
>
> Csaba
>

>  OpenBTS supports GPRS, but at least for me it does not work very
> reliably, I consider this only a proof of concept. While voice/SMS range is
> up to 200m, GPRS breaks down after 5m (!) distance, and the connection
> stalls after a while, requiring a restart of OpenBTS. I am using an USRP1
> with WBX board.
>

> Ralph.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио