Unbounded AGCH queue in OsmoBTS

Ivan Kluchnikov Ivan.Kluchnikov at fairwaves.ru
Tue Feb 11 07:13:35 UTC 2014

Hi all,

The attached patches for openbsc and osmo-bts finally fix issues which
were discussed above.

There are two parts:

1. Implementation of sending rsl Delete_Ind message (on bts side) and
handling it (on bsc side).
Bts should send rsl Delete Ind message to bsc, if there is no space in
agch queue and bts can not send current imm assign message.
When bsc receives Delete_Ind message from bts, bsc should release
allocated channel, which was specified in dropped imm_assign message.

2. Implemented calculation of  agch queue length.
Bts should calculate allowed length of agch queue, because bts should
send imm assign message before immediate assignment procedure will be
aborted by MS.
Imm assign message can be queued no longer than T3126, so agch queue
length should be equal (T3126 / 51 ) * bs_ag_blks_res.

These patches fix critical issues and prevent network failures under
heavy load, so it makes sense to merge them asap.

> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 02:24:38PM +0400, Alexander Chemeris wrote:
>>
>> If Andreas don't implement the calculation, we'll go with a manually
>> configured limit. Should be fine for most use cases.
>
> come on, please don't be so lazy.

Ivan Kluchnikov.
http://fairwaves.ru