Creating a graphic of Osmocom GSM projects.

Andrew Back andrew at carrierdetect.com
Thu Nov 28 11:17:31 UTC 2013

Hello,

I'm working on producing a graphic which shows Osmocom projects that
can be used in a production GSM network, along with related projects
that are used together with these. I'd also like to show these in the
context of legacy networks, e.g. with existing BSC and MSC etc.

First, I need to be sure I have the complete list:

— Osmocom

* BSC (or much more): OpenBSC (osmo-bsc or NITB)
* BTS: OsmoBTS + sysmoBTS or osmo-trx/UmTRX in Fairwaves solution
* PCU: osmo-pcu
* SGSN: OsmoSGSN
* GGSN: OpenGGSN
* ??: cellmgr_ng (what would be the best use cases to show? E.g. as in
bsc_nat diagram)
* ??: bsc_nat (show as in diagram on wiki? Perhaps with fewer elements...)
* ??: osmo-gbproxy

Not sure about the status of osmocom-lcs?

— Ecosystem (supporting projects)

* Linux Call Router
* FreeSWITCH
* Telscale SS7 card (for interfacing with legacy networks)

— Legacy

* nanoBTS and others
* BSC
* MSC
* ... ?

The idea would be to try and show as many use cases as is reasonably
possible and without making the graphic a mess.

I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions folks may have.

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Back