Help with Asterisk setup to stop Openbsc registering handsets

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 17:16:00 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 6, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Andreas Eversberg <andreas at eversberg.eu> wrote:
> Alexander Chemeris wrote:
>>
>> NITB supports SMPP, but having SIP MESSAGE support would be a great thing,
>> imho.
>
> you could add your own call control (instead of mncc_builtin or mncc_sock
> (LCR)). then you would need to write a call control that links MNCC to SIP.
> this is what is done at LCR (gsm.cpp, gsm_bs.cpp, sip.cpp), you could use
> that code to parse and generate SIP/MNCC messages. if you want a separate
> process, you can use the MNCC socket, but then you gonna write what LCR
> already does.

Well, in this case we're speaking about SMS, so MNCC is not exactly
related. SIP MESSAGE is a way to convey IM messages over SIP and there
is a profile for sending SMS over SIP MESSAGE, specified by 3gpp. A
short overview of this is available here:
http://betelco.blogspot.ru/2009/10/sms-over-3gpp-ims-network.html

Speaking of the SIP call control, having an mncc_sip with SIP as an
external interface is also a good idea, imho. An important difference
with mncc_sock in this case is that mncc_sip should be able to handle
timeouts and error cases on both GSM and SIP sides gracefully. I.e. if
a link with the SIP server is not 100% stable, it should maintain a
consistent state on the GSM side. So to me it looks more like an
extension to mncc_internal rather than mncc_sock. And for SIP side a
high-level library like reSIProcate/DUM or SofiaSIP should be used to
take care of all he corner and special cases of SIP protocol
(re-transmission, forking, encryption, TCP support, etc). Then we
would have an ideal SIP speaking solution, much better than OpenBTS.

Alexander Chemeris.
CEO, Fairwaves LLC / ООО УмРадио
http://fairwaves.ru