OpenBSC and 3G

John Otten john.e.otten at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:47:37 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone,

I now have OpenBSC (including GPRS) up and running with a fair amount of
stability, using an IP.Access 2G BTS.  Now I am looking towards the next
stage - getting a 3G system operating.

I have the use of an IP.Access NodeB that I would like get running with
OpenBSC.  In performing my due diligence, I found Harald's 3G road map from
December 2010 or so. I am wondering what the current state of development
is.  I see that IP.Access' URSL protocol was an issue back then, because it
is proprietary.  Has anyone managed to get far enough in their development
that they have implemented the protocol?  I also see from Dieter Spaar's
blog that he is making some progress, but he states his code is not ready
for public release.  Since I don't see much about 3G on the OpenBSC wiki, I
am assuming that no one has any code that they would want to share at this
point. I imagine I may have to forge ahead on my own.

I am fairly new to GSM development, and I haven't really delved into the
OpenBSC source yet (other than to discern what might have caused some
problems I encountered), so if anyone has any suggestions on where to
begin, or has some issues where I might be able to assist in order to move
development further down the road, please let me know.

Thanks!
John