LAPDm / RSL EST IND

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Apr 26 19:31:42 UTC 2012

Hi jolly,

I'm seeing some strange behavior on the BTS side LAPDm code:

When we get a SABM on SAPI=3 from the phone, this gets translated into
an RSL_RLL_EST_IND.  However, as there commonly is no l3 payload in a
SAPI=3 SABM, the L3_INFO IE should not be present in that message.

Instead of a RLL_EST_IND without L3_INFO IE, we get a L3_INFO IE that
consists only of 1 byte tag and 2 byte length, but not payload.  The
Length value seems non-deterministic, i.e. like uninitialized memory.

I've tried to resolve this, and I suspect it is somehow related to the
DUMMY msgb that the lapd code allocates (why is it doing that?) in
send_dl_simple().

The code path should be:

lapd_rx_u()
  if (length == 0) send_dl_simple()
    send_rslms_dlsap()
      here we check for (!dp->oph.msg), but since there is a dummy msgb,
      we probably run into the send_rslms_rll_l3() case instead of
      send_rll_simple().

What do you think is the best way to resolve this?

Thanks,