OpenBSC behind NAT

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Tue Sep 6 16:35:00 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 12:09:46AM +0900, Seungju Kim wrote:
> Hello, i am trying to set up an openbsc network behind NAT. So far i
> can run the bts with oml/rsl. But the bts fails to connect to the
> sgsn. I think it is because of the ports. What ports shall i open in
> order to get it work? And the encalsulation settings could not be
> matched because the sgsn is behind the nat. Is there a workaround for
> this?

If you have a 'proper' NAT implementation + configuration, it shoulnd't
really matter.  My guess is that you are experiencing some restrictions
in your packet filter rules.

Which ports you should open?  That depends on what you have configured
in the openbsc and osmosgsn config files.  Also, I guess it is not too
much to ask you to open wireshark and analyze the packet streams before
and after your nat, figuring out which messages are dropped by it and
which not...