libosmocore licensing

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:57:57 UTC 2011

Hi all, but especially Harald,

We're looking for a good library with complex arithmetic, bit
functions and other RF processing stuff to be used as a base for
porting of our WiMAX stuff to C/C++. I'm looking at libosmocore as a
perfect candidate for that, but we're going to release our work under
LGPL and thus we want an LGPL base library. I wonder, is it possible
to re-license libosmocore under LGPL instead of GPL? I know that
Sylvain has no strong objections about that. Harald, Holger and other
contributors - what would you say?

In general, I believe that LGPL is much better suited for libraries
then GPL and many widely used libraries, like ffmpeg, use it with
great success. And I wish libosmocore to be as successful as those
LGPL libraries.

PS Our WiMAX effort is to create an open-source receiver for Mobile WiMAX:
http://code.google.com/p/wimax-scanner/
We have written somewhat working Matlab code and we're going to port
it to something more real-time now.

Alexander Chemeris.