GPRS SGSN status update

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun May 2 21:19:11 UTC 2010

Hi!

The gprs-sgsn branch has seen quite a number of changes during the last
week, most of them are related to the gb-proxy that I'm currently implementing.

The Gb-proxy can multiplex several Gb connections (each to one BTS) and present
them as one NS-VC with many BSSGP-VC (one for each BTS) to the SGSN.  The
proxy is not needed for most users OpenBSC operation.

However, I have now also adapted the SGSN support inside OpenBSC to the
modified NS and BSSGP code for the proxy.  Furthermore, I've fixed many
of its limitations and it should now be fairly generic, working with
multiple BTSs, etc.  Also, the SGSN is now a standalone program called
osmo_sgsn.  A lot of the legacy cruft has been eliminated, i.e. the
SGSN code does no longer need the gsm_network/bts/trx/... data structures
that are not applicable to the GPRS network model anyway.

As a result, GPRS ATTACH and RA UPDATE are working again, like they did
months ago.

I'm now still stuck somewhere in PDP context activation, and am confident
that this will be solved tomorrow.  After that point, the actual data plane
can be worked on, i.e. flow control and fragmentation, as well as somehow
actually routing IP packets into the LLC connection.