OpenBSC GPRS status update

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Mar 28 05:23:07 UTC 2010

Hi all!

As some of you may have noticed, there are some references to GPRS in
the openbsc 'master' branch now.  The code in there is sufficient to
configure a nanoBTS via OML and RSL (SI13) to establish contact with an
existing NS-over-IP capable SGSN.

All that needs to be done is to set a couple of parameters at the BTS
level in openbsc.cfg.   I've documented them briefly in the wiki (VTY
reference page).  Also, at least one of your timeslots have to be of
PDCH pchan type.  We don't implement dynamic TCH/PDCH switching yet.

As the changes required to get this initialization/configuration done
are non-invasive, I decided to include them in the master branch right
away.

If you set 'gprs enabled 0' in your openbsc.cfg, all GPRS functionality
should be disabled.

This is of course only the first step.

The much bigger work will be in the grps-sgsn branch, where work will
continue on completing the BSSGP and LLC protocol implementations and
the actual SGSN + GGSN functionality.  The goal is of course to
eliminate the need for an external SGSN/GGSN completely.