USSD traces from live networks needed

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:33:51 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm cross-posting this to both OpenBTS and OpenBSC mailing lists
in a hope to get wider audience. Sorry if you get this message twice.

Ivan and I are working on USSD support for OpenBTS now. We've got
all our test phones working except old Siemens A52 (newer A65 is ok).
When we request more information from the phone in order to create
menu-like experience, this phone deny processing any further USSD
with "NOT EXECUTED" error, while still keeping L3 channel open.
This looks quite much like a bug in the phone, but also seems we have
a problem in our code too - I tested it with my working SIM card and
my normal operator USSD menu and it works.

So I kindly ask everyone who have Nokia 3310 with MBUS cable or
any other GSM sniffer and have access to live network with working
USSD to help us with gathering some real-network data. Please:
1) Call some simple USSD request, which just return a single piece
of data. Like "Show my balance"
2) Call some menu-like USSD request and go through several levels
of it. On our network we have a kind of "Self-care service" through
USSD which works that way.
3) If you know how to summon network-originated USSD request or
notification - we will appreciate if you include this too. I have never
seen this on my home network, though.
4) Send me your trace.

Thanks!

Alexander Chemeris.