Question about the "Move db usage out of the libbsc (fork dumping of subscr)" commit

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Wed Jan 6 08:20:23 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 06 January 2010 08:58:42 Sylvain Munaut wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't see how this commits helps ? The function code is exactly the same
> in both files and the db.c dependency in vty_interface.c hasn't been
> removed.
> Am I missing something here ?

Well... this is all not set to stone but the idea is the following:

libbsc.a contains all functionality that is in the domain of the BSC. This
includes the vty_interface.c.

libmsc.a contains all the handling of GSM04.08. In our case even the HLR/VLR
(db.c). In our case this is everything that is not in the BSC.

bsc_hack links to the libbsc and libmsc and adds vty_interface_layer3. Now the
dependencies don't really matter as the link will just resolve them.

For the on-waves/bsc-master branch I'm only using libbsc.a. This means your
commit added a dependency on db.c again. On top of that it will really help us
keeping the BSC/MSC separation in place which is beneficial to stuff like
channel handling..

does this clear things up?