How RRLP 'MS assisted GPS' really works

Christian Vogel vogelchr at vogel.cx
Sun Dec 12 18:22:41 UTC 2010

Hi Dieter,

> of a GPS server I have access to who will provide those data required
> for an "MS-assisted" measurement so that one could compare the own
> calculation against a reference.

There are a few. My Trimble Thunderbolt can give you doppler and
codephase (gps often calls it "pseudorange").

> If someone know about a server providing those data (I am not
> talking of things like "almanac" or "ephemeris" here) or knows
> about existing source code to do the calculation, I would like
> to know.

there are a few open-source GPS implementations out there. The
"software defined radio" part only determines the pseudoranges
(e.g. the chips' phase with respect to each other) to the part
that does the actual trigonometric calculations, so every
implementation should be useable for that purpose.

Sparkfun sells "only the frontend" (mixer, 1-bit ADC, USB)
with sourcecode available in a book and on DVD (WTF?!)

---> http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8238

Then, I found a "GPL-GPS" Project at
     http://gps.psas.pdx.edu/
with a repository at
     http://svn.psas.pdx.edu/svn/psas/trunk/gps/gpl-gps/

There's actually quite a lot of information out there,
but there also seem to be quite a lot of half-abandoned
projects (and a few seem to have vanished since the last time I had
an interest in it around 2005).

         Chris