SMS Alpha Originator

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sun Apr 18 07:08:15 UTC 2010

Hi Stuart,

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 03:58:04AM +0100, Stuart Baggs wrote:

> I have been looking through the SMS functionality of openBSC and I can see
> that the HLR / SMS database uses an sender_id (a secondary key of the
> Subscriber database). Is it possible to send SMS messages with an alpha
> originator i.e. from a string of text up to 11 characters?

no, not yet.

> I also noticed that using the telnet interface, the command to send a SMS
> does not leave a trace in the sql database.

that is indeed true and is intentional.  If you want to send through the database, you can use an external program to add the SMS to the database.

The whole SMS support is simply a prove-of-concept as of now.  At some point we
need to move it into its own SMSC application program and have a proper
interface in the MSC part of OpenBSC.  You're welcome to help with that
implementation :)