Running an licensed experimental GSM network at 26c3

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Oct 12 08:45:28 UTC 2009

Hi David,

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 06:49:29PM -0700, David A. Burgess wrote:

> >So if Andreas and you decide you want to hook up OpenBTS and OpenBSC over
> >VoIP, please go ahead and do so.  But this is unrelated to the 26C3 GSM
> >network and I expect you will interfere neither with the 26C3 GSM network,
> >nor with the public networks.
>
> My personal opinion, for whatever it's worth: Based on our
> experience trying to coexist with Commnet Wireless at Burning Man, I
> would say that trying to run two experimental networks in the same
> place without cross-roaming will be confusing for the test users and
> a big mess for the operators.

I would not worry all that much as long as it is documented in the wiki.  Also,
the 26C3 GSM network will be again in 'token auth' mode, i.e. nobody can enter
unless he has registered on a website before.

Anyone else who intends to operate some GSM network on the 26C3 site: I would
kindly ask them to stick to a 'strictly closed' policy, i.e. don't allow anyone
to complete the location update procedure, unless the IMSI is part of a pre-registered list.

> (BTW - I still don't know if I will be attending, but whether or not
> there's an OpenBTS network running probably doesn't alter that
> decision.

I hope you will be able to make it...

> It's great to meet in person and I miss the smell of Club Mate.

I'll make sure to have sufficient Club Mate supply when you come to Berlin
before depesec :)