patches for openbsc

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Tue May 19 15:26:03 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 19 May 2009 15:40:38 Andreas.Eversberg wrote:
> dear holger, dear harald,
>
> don't worry about little communication problems. the difference between
> being offensive and being contructive is only determined by the sound of
> voice, i think. we can't hear the "tone" in emails, so we try to imagine
> the tone when we read mails. so your constructive arguments can be
> easily understand wrong.

great, thanks.

> harald already did a list of parts in it's order:
>
> * timer rename throughout the existing code
> * llist header changes (why were they made? c++?)
> * the transmit delay timer
> * introduction of trau interface
> * bsc_select_main(polling)
> * paging extension with cbfn BTS pointer
> * the actual MNCC interface
> * installation of libbsc (this should be last, since before the other
>   changes it is of no use)
>
> i will start this week to apply the changes to the latest SVN snapshot,
> one by one. i will test it by calling from one mobile station to another
> station. (i think that is enough.) i will create a diff and announce it
> on the mailing list.

You might find git-svn or quilt handy. Specially with git it is really easy to
move hunks from one patch to another, and reapply things against later
snapshots. I love this tool! And yes, sending them to the mailinglist would be
my preferred mode operation.

> also, i need to know about "openbsc/openbsc.h" include file, i would
> like to add. it shall only include functions and definitions relevant
> for the application to use libbsc. because the application does not need
> to know about libbsc internals, the pointer to the "struct gsm_net" is
> of type "void". example in the first parameter of mncc_send():

Please go ahead and create it, I think for now we should collect all public
API in this header file. you can even pass struct gsm_net* and struct gsm_bts*
around. It is unlikely that we will stop using and the compiler will be happy
to just pass around the pointer (it knows the storage size). The benefit of
this is that we have some level of type checking (in contrast to void*)

> currently i copied the bootstrap code from bsc_hack.c into my LCR
> application, so i need to incude more than openbsc.h there. in my case i
> use a file called "bootstrap.c" which takes all the parameters to
> initiate gsm network an controls bootstrapping. i think this should be
> part ob libbsc in the future. if bootstrapping would be part of libbsc,
> there is no need to include more than openbsc.h to use the MNCC
> interface. what do you think?

If I understood this correctly it looks like the way to go. The goal should be
to just include openbsc/openbsc.h, kick the lib to initialize and then are
ready to go.

	z.