Summary of GSM RF Power control

Dieter Spaar spaar at mirider.augusta.de
Fri Jun 19 19:21:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 10:55:16 CEST, "Dieter Spaar" <spaar at mirider.augusta.de> wrote:

> I will see if I find some time for measurements with the BS-11.

And here are the measurment results for the BS-11 for each of the
four power classes:

BS-11, ARFCN 123

  BTS Power: 0.03 Watt
  NM_ATT_RF_MAXPOWR_R    RF output

    0                    12   dBm
    1                     9.7 dBm
    2                     7.8 dBm
    4                     4.7 dBm
    6                     0.9 dBm

  BTS Power: 0.08 Watt
  NM_ATT_RF_MAXPOWR_R    RF output

    0                    17   dBm
    1                    15   dBm
    2                    13   dBm
    4                     8.7 dBm
    6                     5.5 dBm

  BTS Power: 0.25 Watt
  NM_ATT_RF_MAXPOWR_R    RF output

    0                    22   dBm
    1                    20   dBm
    2                    18   dBm
    4                    14   dBm
    6                     9.9 dBm

  BTS Power: 2 Watt
  NM_ATT_RF_MAXPOWR_R    RF output

    0                    32   dBm
    1                    30   dBm
    2                    27   dBm
    4                    23   dBm
    6                    19   dBm

Values larger than 6 for NM_ATT_RF_MAXPOWR_R are not supported.
There is most certainly an error in the range of 2 to 3 dB coming
from the low-quality cable and some adaptor connectors to connect
the BTS to the measurement equipment.

I did also play with the power control of the BS-11. As far as I
am aware the BTS power control is not enbabled per default in
bsc_hack, the measurement results from the BTS confirm that. If
I enable the BTS power control I can at least see that the BTS
changes the MS power. I have not verified on the phone if the
power is really changed, but the RX level of the BTS seem to
indicate that it works.

There are a lot of parameters to play with so if anyone is
interested, just reduce NM_ATT_BS11_RADIO_MEAS_GRAN (lets
say to 2) so that you see frequent measurement results and
watch what is going on.

Best regards,
  Dieter
Dieter Spaar, Germany                           spaar at mirider.augusta.de