new to OpenBSC

Holger Freyther zecke at selfish.org
Thu Jul 23 12:11:37 UTC 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009 13:47:03 raza shah wrote:
> Hi everyone,                 I am new to OpenBSC and I think the best way
> to contribute to it is to get to know the source code first. I would
> appreciate any help regarding how to begin understanding the source code.
> And what are the main features of the code? What is the best approach to
> start learning OpenBSC. And is there any good material on OpenBSC.? Thanks.

Welcome,

we attempt to implement the BSC interface. You can take a look at the GSM
08.02 specification to see the functional split of the BSC and MSC. The main
functionality of BSC is probably reliable channel management. In the absence
of another MSC we also have some layer3 and layer4 implementation in the code.

- At the bottom we have the input (either mISDN or ipaccess)
- This goes to rsl and oml management
- On top of that we have gsm_04_08.c
- And then SMS and Call handling...

kind regards