wireshark, viewing Abis communication

Eric Cathelinaud e.cathelinaud at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 17 15:59:30 UTC 2009

2009/7/15 Eric Cathelinaud <e.cathelinaud at googlemail.com>

>>> attach a
>>> Remote User

>>> and one
>>> small

>>> ============================================================================
>>> option."
>>> Ch. A6)

>>> packets.
>>>
>>> just to make it clear: this pcap was generated using bsc_hack's pcap
>>> option,
>>> correct?  it seems like sometimes we write truncated packets to that
>>> file.
>>>
>>> There is a different method, using mISDN's debug tool (see
>>> http://www.misdn.org/index.php/Debugtool).  I think if somebody can
>>> confirm
>>> this method works, i.e. use mISDNdebugtool to write a 'dumpfile' and then
>>> open
>>> that with wireshark, then we can actually remove the pcap code from
>>> OpenBSC
>>> altogether.
>>>
>>> Would you mind trying that method and report if you still see
>>> broken/unknown
>>> packets?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> --
>>>  - Harald Welte <laforge at gnumonks.org>
>>> http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
>>>
>>> ============================================================================
>>> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>>>                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch.
>>> A6)
>>>

>>  Ok i will try it and tell u ;-)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Eric Cathelinaud
>>

> And yes the pcap file was coming from bsc_hack's pcap option

Hi,

I encounter problems using the debugtool from misdn.
I tried to follow the setup :
Setup

   1. Install the latest mISDN and mISDNuser. On how to obtain the sources,
   see GIT <http://www.misdn.org/index.php/GIT>.
   2. Configure the mISDN kernel modules. On how to do that, see
   Installing_mISDN <http://www.misdn.org/index.php/Installing_mISDN> and
   Configuring_mISDN <http://www.misdn.org/index.php/Configuring_mISDN>.
   3. Add the following line to you /etc/mISDN.conf:
   <module>mISDN_debugtool</module>
   4. Load the mISDN kernel modules via: mISDN start
   5. Enable the debugging facility (this is done automagically by
   mISDNdebugtool if started with no -n parameter): echo 1 >
   /sys/class/mISDN-debugtool/enabled
   6. Validate your setup by running the mISDNdebugtool user space program
   to capture all packets transmitted by the mISDNdebugtool kernel module and
   log them to stdout: mISDNdebugtool -v

But on step 3, I don't see the file mISDN.conf in /etc/
I can find it in the git but not complete like I can see on this link :
http://www.misdn.org/index.php/Configuring_mISDN
I only have the <mISDNconf> ... </mISDNconf> section.

In addition, I can t use any command from mISDN like mISDN start, mISDN scan
and so on.
In my kernel, I put mISDN as modular and I need to load them at each reboot
as follow to enable dslot=1 :
rmmod mISDN_core hfcmulti
modprobe mISDN_core
modprobe hfcmulti dslot=1

I still tried to compile the mISDN-debugtool.
But in /sys/class i have only a repertory for mISDN and nothing for
mISDN-debugtool. The file enabled doesn't exist too. But i think it's just a
file with a "1" inside. So i created it.

Now when i launch mISDNdebugtool -v it works but doesn't capture anything
and even doesn't create any file.
I think I have a problem since I didn't start the module mISDN_debugtool via
mISDN.conf. (step 3 & 4)

Thanks

Eric Cathelinaud