your mail

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jan 17 08:09:53 UTC 2009

Hi David,

great to see that you are also following this list, your iput and
experience is greatly appreciated.

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 07:13:25PM -0800, David A. Burgess wrote:

> You may not need to fully controlled a handset to do this, though.  [...]

Thanks for pointin this out.  Maybe holger has an interest to try something
like this - I personally am not too interested to play with regular 'closed'
phones.

We are currently discussing the various options we have for building a "fully
controlled handset".  I think it is the logical conclusion to projects like
OpenBTS and OpenBSC...

I don't want to talk too much at this early point, but I'm confident that we'll
come up with something useful later this year, based on commercially available
GSM transeiver and analog baseband chips.  Using somethng like USRP for the
MS side is nice for a handful of researchers who already have one, but not
really an option for most hackers in the community who are used to only invest
in cheap equipment like a wifi card + free software drivers + protocol stack.

We'll see.  I'll keep you posted about our progress.  We're still in early
planning, but have the right kind of people for hardware/firmware/software
and access to the required resources/documents and components.