TMSI's and Identity theft?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Sat Jan 10 03:38:54 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 01:40:33AM +0100, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I'm currently implementing the CM Service Request of GSM 04.08 and I wonder
> about the following:
>
> 	1.) Some phones send us the TMSI of their current network
> 	2.) One can ask the phone for the IMEISV/IMSI
> 	3.) One can accept the LOCATION UPDATING REQUEST (or wait)
> 	4.) A rogue MS could now request a channel with the BTS of the original
> network
> 	5.) Could send a CM Service Request with the TMSI of the original phone and
> claim to not support A5 and such...
> 	6.) Could initiate a call on the behalf of the other phone...?

I think this would work, if
* we had a MS that we could fully control.
* the old network would accept the sudden classmark change for no A5 support,
  which in fact also depends on the cell itself.  I would assume that most
  BTS in real-world netwokrs never announce that they support A5/0

> 	7.) What is IMSI detached, I have not yet seen it... but it could solve such
The IMSI ATTACH/DETACH procedure is an optional procedure that the BTS can
demand by setting some flag in SYSTEM INFORMATION on the BCCH.

If enabled, the MS will use a special IMSI ATTACH flag in the location update,
and it has to send an IMSI DETACH message before it is switched off.  Not sure
how useful that really is... but I definitely want support for it in OpenBSC
(optionally).  Probably time for a config file ;)

> what am I missing? These messages are not encrypted right? One just would need
> to know the right channel/paging group and such? Is this known? plausible?
> totally off?

The messages are not encrypted, no. The 'right channel' is the PCH of the other
cell.  The cell info we get from the LOCATION UPDATING REQUEST (mcc/mnc/lac).

The paging group we can calculate from the IMSI.

I think the ability to downgrade to A5/0 is the major flaw of this attack. Even
if networks allow that now, it's a very simple BSC firmware upgrade to fix it.