First successful voice calls

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Wed Feb 18 04:07:34 UTC 2009

Hi all!

Like I just wrot in my blog, I have managed to get the first voice calls
between two MS on one BTS working.  The Q.931 like call control never
really was the problem, and paging as well as RR/MM seems to work very stable
all the time.  Bigger problems were related to the CHANNEL MODIFY that has
to be done on the 04.08 level (for the MS side) as well as the 08.58 side for
the BTS side - plus many classic programming mistakes in what used to be
so-far untested/unused code.

In any case, I have succesfully had voice calls through both the BS-11
as well as the ip.access nanoBTS.

There are still lots of things left to be done (e.g. the E1 subslot assignments
are still static, there is a big yet-to-be-explained lag on E1 based calls,
Motorola phones seem to have compatibility issues, you can call yourself and
make your own phone ring, etc).  But at least the foundation is working.

Regards,

[... and it's not even two months too late for the originally planned call demo
at 25C3]