OpenBSC / GSM network at camp site

ich at henrik-hansen.de ich at henrik-hansen.de
Thu Dec 31 12:44:28 UTC 2009

> 1) whenever those teenagers register to your local network, they will no
> longer
>    be reachable from the public network, i.e. their parents or other
> friends
>    cannot call them on their regular phone

I'm aware of this, and i forget to tell that the gsm net will be limited
to the organisators and the youth advisor.

> People who e.g. expect emergency calls to work reliably - something that
OpenBSC
> clearly cannot offer at this time.

The fact of emergency call's are not the problem, on camp site we got the
so
called TEL and a DRK Station, both are official branches of the emergency
control stations.
So if someone calls 112 with need for a doctor, he will get one :)

> 3) Also, I am not sure if you are already providing a telecommunication
> service
>    to the public at that point.  There are regulations regarding data
> safety,
>    privacy but also lawful intercept and data retention that need to be
>    considered.  Operating an actual network for people who just want to
> use it
>    (as opposed to people who want to test and research GSM technology) is
>    really a different case.

In 2009 we use a huge number of 2m Radio's. These Radio's are normaly used
by the German Firefighters.
And are Devices taken from fire engines.

> * Or do you want to provide free calls / sms for your camp attendees?
>   (do you want your youngsters to spend even more time with their phones
>    than usually?)
The main reason providing a own gsm network, is that in 2009 my mobile
phone bill breaks the 200€ milestone. If we talking about the financial
site, there are up to 120 people doing organisation stuff the hole day.
Those People normaly use on of the radio's to communicate with each other.
When the person i wanna talk to isn't reachable trough his radio, i call
him.
Thats why i think that a own GSM Network is a realy good idea for this
event.

> * Or are you simply interested in doing it because it's cool? ;)
Jap, this is truely also a reason :)

> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>                                                   (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch.>
A6)

Funny signature. :)

Thanks for all kind of response.