LCR / RTP interface

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Thu Dec 17 16:48:35 UTC 2009

Hi Andreas + List,

I have now studied the new "RTP capable" lcr integration in detail.  My
sincere apologies once again for the long delay that this has been taking
me.

I really like the interface (like its predecessor).  The major restriction
at the moment seems to be its limitation to support only GSM Version 1
Full Rate.

After doing some testing with the current 'lcr_rtp' branch in git, as well
as the attempt to integrate handover support with the lcr/mncc interface,
I am considering to add support for other codec types, too.

GSM EFR (only exists in full-rate) is interesting for everyone, as almost
all phones support it, and it renders significantly higher quality.

GSM V1 halfrate is important for BS-11 users who want increased capacity, since
this BTS does not support AMR-halfrate.

GSM V1 full-rate is important for ip.access, since it is the only half-rate
codec it supports, and thus the only way to increase capacity for this BTS.

GSM AMR full-rate is probably of the least interest, but still nice to have.

For the 26C3, I would love to run in a EFR-fullrate and AMR-halfrate
configuration, depending on the phone's capabilities.