Update on GSM network at 26C3

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Mon Dec 14 16:39:04 UTC 2009

Dear All,

as you will know, we have applied for an experimental GSM license for the
26C3 (http://events.ccc.de/congress/2009/).

Last week, the license was granted.  However, only two ARFCN's have been
granted (I applied for 8).  As it turns out, this was a communication problem.

Today they have acknowledged a third ARFCN.  So we can have at least one
single-TRX BTS on each floor.  On wednesday they will determine whether
we can have more than three, or if we'll have to live with three ARFCN only.

If we get 6, it will be one dual-TRX BTS for each floor.  If we get even more,
the surplus ones can be used for random experiments.

TODO items before 26C3 (for the next couple of days):
* finish handover implementation (critical)
* do some more testing with LCR integration (Andreas did it, but I also want
  to have more hands-on experience with it)
* introduce log levels and/or per-subscriber tracing functionality to
  "see the signal among all the noise" while debugging problems in an otherwise
  busy network
* ensure SMS implementation is more robust than at HAR
* log all measurement reports to database for later analysis of handover
  performance.  We could also get them from pcap files, so not strictly
  neccessary.

Optional:
* finish AMR-halfrate implementation, as this will increase our capacity.
  This includes dynamically selecting the codec that is used for each call.
  I don't think we'll manage finishing this, especially with the LCR
  integration.  Standalone might be possible - but that is useless for 26C3