UMTS

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Dec 4 18:44:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 01:06:27PM +0100, Nordin wrote:
> Are there any plans for OpenBSC supporting 3G? Cause I've heard
> ip.access also sells nanoBTSs for 3G.

yes, they have 3G devices, but I suspect they are even more expensive.  I have
not yet seen one.

Dieter and me have been playing with different 3G hardware that is available
cheaper, but we had to postpone any future work on it due to the fact that
the RANAP protocol is ASN.1 in PER aligned encoding and there are no
open source tools for C that support this.  In fact, the only tools for that
encoding that we could find were for Erlang.

So until somebody implements some tools for that encoding, it's unlikely that
we will be able to continue.  I think for Dieter, Holger and myself currently
other topics like GPRS support and working on a MS-side stack have higher
preference.

However, if somebody had useable asn.1 tools for PER unaligned, to be used in C
language, I'm more than happy to work on 3G support.  It's not all that
different from GSM anyway, just many things were renamed ;)