[op25-dev] Beginner's Guide To Setting Up OP25 From Scratch

'Trunk Tracker' trunktracker@tampabay.rr.com [op25-dev] op25-dev at yahoogroups.com
Fri Nov 30 00:59:41 UTC 2018

Thanks much for spending the time to do this.  I'll try the Oracle program
this weekend once I've got some more time.  Thanks to all for the replies.

trunktracker at tampabay.rr.com

From: wllmbecks at gmail.com [mailto:wllmbecks at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:14 PM
To: op25-dev at yahoogroups.com
Cc: trunktracker at tampabay.rr.com
Subject: RE: [op25-dev] Re: Beginner's Guide To Setting Up OP25 From Scratch

Hi all,

I was able to replicate the identical issue as trunktracker has reported.
It turns out to be a hardware virtualization issue in handling of the Airspy
SDR's running on Ubuntu as a VM on VMWare Player and not  an issue with the
op25 code.

Normally, I use Oracle VirtualBox on a Windows-10 Pro 64 machine to run
various Linux VM's including Ubuntu 18.04 with op25.  That combination has
worked perfectly using either the Airspy R2 or the RTL SDR's.   However, I
installed VMWare Player 15 last evening to experiment with Ubuntu 18.04 VM
and boatbod op25 to quickly discover I got the same results (error message)
as trunktracker when attempting to run my Airspy R2.  Conversely, op25 did
run perfectly on the VMWare Player setup as long as I only used the RTL SDR
device.

So it then appears to be some type of virtualization issue with the Airspy
devices on VM's running on the VMWare Player.    I don't know that is
necessarily the case on other VMWare products such as the Pro version, and
etc.    But it's definitely broken as far as the Airspy is concerned with
VMWare Player.  Changing USB modes (support) in the VM settings had not
impact on the problem either.

I ran into a similar problem recently on my Windows-10 Machine where none of
my SDR's, Airspy or RTL types would run on any of my Linux VM's.  That
turned out to be a issue with Windows Defender causing a corruption with the
USB hardware virtualization in VirtualBox.

Bill, WA8WG