[op25-dev] Some op25 patches [2 Attachments]

John Ackermann N8UR jra@febo.com [op25-dev] op25-dev at yahoogroups.com
Mon Sep 25 20:27:04 UTC 2017

Hi --

Back in July I got Max's then-current branch running on my RPi 3, and
then proceeded to make some changes around the edges.  In terminal.py I
did a couple of things:

1.  Made the terminal window size-aware so that you can display more
than 20 "voice frequency..." lines without crashing  Without this, if a
site has more than 20 channels, the program will crash when the 21st
shows up.  With the patch, just make the console window taller and avoid
the problem.

2.  Cleaned up the console display a bit, and added a "help" line to
display the available commands.

I don't think there have been any recent changes that would impact these
changes and my diff seems to apply cleanly to the current version.

The more interesting set of changes are in trunking.py where I cleaned
up the log lines for consistency, moved one set of messages from console
to stderr, added some granularity to the -v settings, and added a couple
of new log messages that provide additional info.

As a result, the stderr.2 output is now (IMHO) more useful, and you can
analyze it to learn fun facts.  For example, attached if Yahoo allows
are screenshots of activity by hour, and a sorted list of the most
active talkgroups on the site.  I wrote a shell script that reads
stderr.2 to generate this data.

I see that there's been some recent activity in Graham's new fork.  It
looks like trunking.py has been updated and I don't know if my changes
might conflict.  My patch-fu is not the greatest, and I don't want to
screw things up, but I'd like to contribute my stuff to the project.

Graham, I don't have your direct email address.  Can I send you my files
(based on the Max branch as of mid-July) and ask you to diff them and
add them to your repo if they are OK?  I'll also provide the traffic
analysis script.  Of course, I'm happy to send the files to anyone else
who might want them.

Thanks,
John N8UR
jra at febo.com

PS -- and I am hoping to make a ready-to-go RPi op25 image file
available as soon as I get these patches integrated.