[op25-dev] OP25 for noobs by a noob (long)

John Ackermann N8UR jra@febo.com [op25-dev] op25-dev at yahoogroups.com
Wed Jun 28 12:13:00 UTC 2017

Thanks, flkmrz!  I recently posted something similar on my blog
(https://blog.febo.com) and I'm going to edit those posts based on some
of what you've said below.

I strongly prefer using the "build-gnuradio" script
(http://sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio) to build the system from
sources.  It requires very little user intervention, makes sure you have
all the required .deb or .rpm packages installed, and gives you the
latest version of the code base.  But as of right now (28 June 2017) the
rtlsdr components don't build properly due to upstream code changes.  I
have a good feeling that it will be fixed very soon, but over the last
week I've been tearing my hair out.

A couple of other points about op25 install:

1.  The point about no trailing spaces in the trunk.tsv file is really
important -- I ran into a bunch of problems until I got that file
*exactly* right.

2.  If you use the "-T trunk.tsv" parameter, the -f parameter for
frequency becomes a placeholder; it needs to be set to something, but
the control channel set in trunk.tsv overrides.

3. Don't blindly trust the accuracy of the information from Radio
Reference or other sources.  It turns out my local site on the OMARCS-IP
network uses a different NAC than the published one.  I'd recommend
first running op25 without the trunk.tsv file, tuned to the control
channel.  In the "traffic" window you should see all sorts of useful
information like the control frequencies, the system NAC, etc. and you
can use that to populate trunk.tsv more accurately.

4.  Also check on the modulation for your system.  Again there is
confusing information about whether some sites use C4FM and CQPSK.
Getting the modulation wrong pretty much stops everything else from
working correctly.

5.  The layout of the GUI is a little awkward and I've brute-forced some
changes that make it easier to read the talkgroup tags.  My changes
aren't clean enough yet to warrant pushing to the repository, but
contact me by email and I'll send you my modified scope.py file.

John
----