[op25-dev] Info (need help) OP25 setup

joeeva@bellsouth.net [op25-dev] op25-dev at yahoogroups.com
Thu Sep 22 00:58:58 UTC 2016

Bare with a old Man( I'm anxious to get this working)
 I downloaded Ubuntu 14.04, never used Linux before
 I installed it along side windows 7, I used this method, pasted below to install OP25
 Everything looks like it installed correctly, happy first timer no errors
 I went into files, all seems to be there
 I have a RTL2832u  device
 The local system I want to track  is Phase 2 , Tdma,  I believe
 control channel 858.43750

 How do I launch the program, scope.py is that correct
 I googled it, I found some things to try,
 2 lines in command, no dice
 Is there a step by step anywhere, I can read.  I've read and read, I know its just me
 but I'm closer than I was 4 days ago

 ?s  (1)Do I launch by command prompt, is there an app to click on(2) how do I put in put my control channel, in my files somewhere)
 just some basic questions for a newbie
 thanks for any help
 .

This recipe has been tested on ubuntu 14.04 only, it is likely NOT to work in either 12.04 or 16.04...

First, use these commands to install the pre-reqs

 sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get build-dep gnuradio
sudo apt-get install gnuradio gnuradio-dev gr-osmosdr librtlsdr-dev libuhd-dev  libhackrf-dev libitpp-dev libpcap-dev git

 Second, use these commands to build and install OP25:   [Note, the mkdir build; cd build; cmake ../; make; sudo make install sequence is a bog-standard form when source-building apps that utilize cmake.]

 cd ~
git clone git://op25.osmocom.org/op25.git
cd op25
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

 Finally you may need to use the command

 sudo rmmod dvb_usb_rtl28xxu

 to remove the DVB kernel module that conflicts with the RTL USB SDR.  You may also need to edit the system udev rules for the RTL -both are common issues and you can search for the needed resources if the RTL isn't getting recognized...  Once this is all done (no longer a need to source any env commands into the shell) you should be ready to invoke scope.py,  which is the principal OP25 GUI app...  As a pre-check, you can also run the osmocom_fft application (which should install as part of the pre-reqs) to test basic RTL connectivity and rule out related problems before invoking scope.py...