[op25-dev] Court Rules that the Wiretap Act Does Not Prohibit Intercepting Unencrypted Wire

Jeremy Neal kg6ygb at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 05:30:00 UTC 2012

I think your thinking is wrong, and I, too, will explain why:

You state (and yes, I'm paraphrasing) that people who have implemented unsecured wi-fi networks never designed the system in such a manner so as to allow anyone to snoop on others' use of the system, read others' email, monitor others' web usage, etc, and furthermore didn't intend for it to be used in this manner.  While you may be right, they certainly didn't design it to PREVENT these things from happening either!  Businesses providing "free wi-fi" have no excuse for not securing their wi-fi.  If the person/company they hired to "design" their wi-fi network can't figure out how to secure it, they don't have any business calling themselves wireless network architects or engineers.  That said, I'm sure it could be argued that some home/small business owners may not possess the technical expertise necessary to understand why encryption should be implemented and how to implement it.  However it could also be argued that the aforementioned home/small business operators failed to do their due diligence as they didn't bother to research what it takes to secure a wireless network.  I mean, it's not like anyone with a web browser and google couldn't figure out the basics in 30-45 mins.  And let's face it...even the lowest form of wi-fi encryption (40-bit WEP) is still encryption, and is therefore protected under FCC regulations.  I didn't say it's not easily compromised, but as that concern is beyond the scope of this discussion we won't get into that.  Back to implementing wireless security: as anyone can tell you who has received a ticket for doing something they "didn't know was illegal", ignorance is NOT an excuse.  "Oh, sorry officer, I didn't know I wasn't allowed to do U-turns in a business district" (usually) won't get you out of a ticket.  By the same token, ignorance of technology is not an excuse to make up laws to protect those who can't be bothered to do their due diligence before making the decision to set up an unsecured wi-fi network.  I won't even bother to get into how ignorance applies to those foolish enough to use unsecured wi-fi networks to send/receive email, use Facebook, or (God forbid) do their online banking!!

Moving on, I don't think your argument about using a key logger really applies in this case as physically accessing any communications line is really trespassing, but ianal, so I could be wrong.  Either way, it's definitely not a method of wireless access so it doesn't really apply to your argument here.  That said, it may not be covered by the Wiretap Act, but I'm willing to bet you it's covered by another one.

Finally, you argue that the exception for cordless phones should apply to unsecured wi-fi networks.  I think this is a little like comparing apples to oranges as the technology associated with early cordless phones was not sufficiently advanced so as to allow the encryption of the traffic they carried at a cost affordable to an end-user.  In contrast, wi-fi was designed with an encryption mechanism built-in from the start!  This means that unsecured wi-Fi networks are FULLY CAPABLE of being encrypted...but the owner/operator chose for one reason or another to not avail themselves of that option.

So all that said, perhaps you can explain to me how you justify limiting the freedoms of everyone else to protect the so-called "rights" of those who are too ignorant and/or lazy to do a little research or hire someone competent to configure their wi-fi's for them.  Why do you think internet providers like AT&T and Verizon started installing wi-fi routers with encryption already enabled and just stuck a sticker with the encryption key on the bottom?  It would be pretty simple to disable the pre-configured encryption on any of these routers, but how many people do you know that have bothered to do that?

Apologies in advance to the rest of the list if (when?) this discussion is deemed to be off-topic.

Jeremy