SNOW-3G / ZUC implementation under FOSS license?

Paul Sutton paul at softwareradiosystems.com
Mon Jul 15 11:58:08 UTC 2019

Hi Harald,

The srsLTE implementation is taken from the ETSI specs simulation program listings: http://cryptome.org/uea2-uia2/etsi_sage_06_09_06.pdf and http://cryptome.org/uea2-uia2/snow_3g_spec.pdf
https://www.etsi.org/intellectual-property-rights#mytoc3 and https://www.etsi.org/images/files/IPR/etsi-ipr-policy.pdf outline the copyright licensing details for software incorporated in ETSI standards however I have not taken legal advice on compatibility of this license with AGPLv3.

>From a quick review, it looks like the CryptoMobile and NextEPC versions have taken the same approach.
It would be good as you say to have a "clean copyright" implementation - perhaps this is something we could help with.

Best regards,
Paul

> Hi!
>
> I'm now at a point where I would like to add SNOW-3G (EIA1/EEA1) support for
> NAS integrity protection and ciphering to my upcoming TTCN-3 testsuite for the MME.
>
> However, it seems there is no real FOSS implementation of the SNOW-3G algoritm
> around?  All I could find was:
>
> * https://github.com/mitshell/CryptoMobile with unclear source of the code,
>   without a copyright statement or license annotation
>
> * https://github.com/rcatolino/libressl-snow3g/blob/master/crypto/snow3g/main.c
>   without a copyright statement or license annotation
>
> * https://github.com/Jadson27101/SNOW_3G in go,
>   without a copyright statement or license annotation
>
> * https://github.com/KsirbJ/SNOW-3G
>   without a copyright statement or license annotation
>
> * https://github.com/open5gs/nextepc/blob/master/src/mme/snow-3g.c
>   without a copyright statement or license annotation. Looks rather similar
>   to CryptoMobile.  Possible just copy+pasted from ETSI reference implementation?
>
> * https://github.com/srsLTE/srsLTE/blob/master/lib/src/common/snow_3g.cc
>   also contains no coypright statement or license, but might be construed
>   to be AGPLv3 like all of srsLTE.  However, it states it is "adapted"
>   from ETSI/SAGE specifications.  Does that mean it is an independent
>   implementation of the algorithm by just reading the specs, or does it
>   contain actual ETSI-copyrighted code?
>
> It's also odd that the 3GPP specs (35.215 / 35.216, with usual copyright statement)
> don't contain any actual information but all just point to the ETSI SAGE specification
> which can be found (at the very least) here:
> https://www.gsma.com/aboutus/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/uea2uia2d1v21.pdf
> and interestingly doesn't contain any copyright statement whatsoever.
>
> This discussion is not about any potentially 'essential patents' that may or may
> not apply in some jurisdictions on the algorithm itself.  I'm currently only interested
> in a "clean copyright" implementation of any of the EIA/EEA implementations used
> on the LTE NAS layer.
>
> I'd appreciate any useful comments. Thanks!
>
> --
> "Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
>                                                   (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)

Paul Sutton Ph.D.

Software Radio Systems (SRS)
http://www.softwareradiosystems.com
paul at softwareradiosystems.com

PGP Key ID: 3B4A5292
Fingerprint: B0AC 19C9 B228 A6EB 86E1 82B2 90C7 EC95 3B4A 5292