Question on Uplink 'sequence count' handling in MME

Sukchan Lee acetcom at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 15:13:32 UTC 2019

Hi Harald,

For the most part, you need to see the UNION definitions in
src/mme/mme_context.h as below.

348     union {
349         struct {
350         ED3(uint8_t spare;,
351             uint16_t overflow;,
352             uint8_t sqn;)
353         } __attribute__ ((packed));
354         uint32_t i32;
355     } ul_count;

Therefore, increasing SQN will also increase ul_count.i32.

Let me add the comments in src/mme/nas_security.c

/* If SQN exeeds 1 bytes and turn in once again,
   Overflow is increased */
197         if (mme_ue->ul_count.sqn > h->sequence_number)
198             mme_ue->ul_count.overflow++;

/* Always set SQN from UE's SQN as below */
199         mme_ue->ul_count.sqn = h->sequence_number;

Let me know if I have misunderstood anything.

Thanks a lot!

Best Regards,
    Sukchan