SNOW-3G / ZUC implementation under FOSS license?

Harald Welte laforge at gnumonks.org
Fri Jul 12 09:32:27 UTC 2019

Hi!

I'm now at a point where I would like to add SNOW-3G (EIA1/EEA1) support for
NAS integrity protection and ciphering to my upcoming TTCN-3 testsuite for the MME.

However, it seems there is no real FOSS implementation of the SNOW-3G algoritm
around?  All I could find was:

* https://github.com/mitshell/CryptoMobile with unclear source of the code,
  without a copyright statement or license annotation

* https://github.com/rcatolino/libressl-snow3g/blob/master/crypto/snow3g/main.c
  without a copyright statement or license annotation

* https://github.com/Jadson27101/SNOW_3G in go,
  without a copyright statement or license annotation

* https://github.com/KsirbJ/SNOW-3G
  without a copyright statement or license annotation

* https://github.com/open5gs/nextepc/blob/master/src/mme/snow-3g.c
  without a copyright statement or license annotation. Looks rather similar
  to CryptoMobile.  Possible just copy+pasted from ETSI reference implementation?

* https://github.com/srsLTE/srsLTE/blob/master/lib/src/common/snow_3g.cc
  also contains no coypright statement or license, but might be construed
  to be AGPLv3 like all of srsLTE.  However, it states it is "adapted"
  from ETSI/SAGE specifications.  Does that mean it is an independent
  implementation of the algorithm by just reading the specs, or does it
  contain actual ETSI-copyrighted code?

It's also odd that the 3GPP specs (35.215 / 35.216, with usual copyright statement)
don't contain any actual information but all just point to the ETSI SAGE specification
which can be found (at the very least) here:
https://www.gsma.com/aboutus/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/uea2uia2d1v21.pdf
and interestingly doesn't contain any copyright statement whatsoever.

This discussion is not about any potentially 'essential patents' that may or may
not apply in some jurisdictions on the algorithm itself.  I'm currently only interested
in a "clean copyright" implementation of any of the EIA/EEA implementations used
on the LTE NAS layer.

I'd appreciate any useful comments. Thanks!