USB DECT devices

Patrick McHardy kaber at trash.net
Fri Jul 29 14:56:04 UTC 2011

On 29.07.2011 12:09, Simon Kowalewski wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to play around with OsmocomDECT a bit, but my prehistoric
> laptop with PCMCIA (my Pismo) has given up on me and all desktop
> computers I have are PCIe, none has PCI (the oldest being a PowerMac
> G5).
>
> But they all do have USB, and I have a Sinus 702 data, also known as
> Gigaset M34, a USB DECT adapter. Here are the details as seen from the
> PC side:
>
> DECT Data Device:
>
>   Produkt-ID:	0x0026
>   Hersteller-ID:	0x0681  (Siemens Information and Communication Products)
>   Version:	1,00
>   Seriennummer:	00045ABF42
>   Geschwindigkeit:	Bis zu 12 MBit/s
>   Hersteller:	Siemens AG
>   Standort-ID:	0x04100000 / 5
>   Verfügbare Stromstärke (mA):	500
>   Erforderliche Stromstärke (mA):	90
>
> I couldn't find too much information on the chipset in these things,
> but if anyone is interested in hacking around with this, I could bring
> it to the camp.

I have a similar adapter, but they work fundamentally different from the
PCMCIA/PCI devices as far as I can tell. Basically they're running at
least the MAC layer (possibly also DLC layer) on the device itself and
only export a higher layer API. Still it might be possible to support
them using my stack, but so far there's is exactly zero information
about how they work. I guess having a closer look at the windows
drivers would be a good start.