Thuraya ARFCN

Johann T. johann.tzt at gmail.com
Mon May 4 14:09:17 UTC 2020

Hi Sylvain,

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I have performed some captures with some offsets w.r.t. to channel
frequency. Then I ran the gmr1_rx binary on the recording. In your
presentation video during CCCH,  you mentioned that sps should be set to 4.
The Wireshark output is shown below.

GSM TAP Header, ARFCN: 0 (Downlink), TS: 0, Channel: CCCH (0)
    Version: 2
    Header Length: 16 bytes
    Payload Type: GMR-1 air interfeace (MES-MS<->GTS) (10)
    Time Slot: 0
    ..00 0000 0000 0000 = ARFCN: 0
    .0.. .... .... .... = Uplink: 0
    Signal Level (dBm): 0
    Signal/Noise Ratio (dB): 0
    GSM Frame Number: 30
    Channel Type: CCCH (2)
    Antenna Number: 0
    Sub-Slot: 0

Perhaps the reception of the Thuraya signal is rather bad on my side. When
I used the osmocom_fft to check the broadcast channel, I could not identify
it. Switching to a homemade LHCP antenna didn't seem to help either.

I might try different locations next time. Currently I used a compass to
roughly align my antenna direction towards the satellite (at 44deg E).
What do you think? Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Johann