[airprobe-main] [ANNOUNCE] First OsmocomGMR code release

Sylvain Munaut 246tnt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 08:20:36 UTC 2011

( CC'ing the gmr mailing list since it's probably best to continue there :)

>> As some of the readers may already know, a couple of Osmocom developers
>> have been working on a new sub-project: OsmocomGMR.
>>
>> The primary goal of this project is to provide a reusable and clean
>> implementation of the various layers of GMR-1.
>
> Wow!
>
> In terms of capabilities, would it allow to reach something like making
> an opensource phone interfacing to Thuraya Sat network?

It's certainly nowhere near that now, but one can always hope :)

Since GMR-1 is so close to GSM, al the MM and CC layers of osmocom-bb
could probably be re-used easily.
The RR is completely different tough.

The current code doesn't have the 'modulation' part but that's
relatively easy. (all bursts types are described in a structure that
contains all the info already to make a proper gmr1_pi4cxpsk_modulate
function).
Then you'd need a real time interface to USRP which is a bit more
complex :) But it's something I'll definitely look into at some point
because I'd like to broadcast my own GMR-1 network :p

Cheers,

    Sylvain