[Dfu-util] Bug in dfu-util?

Steffen Breitbach dfu-util at bebef.de
Wed Feb 17 12:20:52 UTC 2021

Hi everyone!

I'm not sure what to make of this, so I thought it's probably a good
idea to ask here first before filing a bug.

I'm flashing a GigaDevice GD32VF103TB (Pinecil) with dfu-util0.10. I
have compiled the latter from source, as there are supposedly some
issues with 0.9 and that's not available yet.

I have two machines, a Dell notebook and a Razer notebook. Both use the
same USB3/Thunderbolt dock.
With the Dell machine, I get this output every time I run dfu-util like
this:

sudo ./dfu-util-0.10/src/dfu-util -l
dfu-util 0.10

[cut the disclaimer]

Found DFU: [28e9:0189] ver=0100, devnum=17, cfg=1, intf=0, path="5-2.1",
alt=1, name="@Option Bytes  /0x1FFFF800/01*016Be", serial="3TBJ"
Found DFU: [28e9:0189] ver=0100, devnum=17, cfg=1, intf=0, path="5-2.1",
alt=0, name="@Internal Flash  /0x08000000/128*001Kg", serial="3TBJ"

However, when I connect it to my Razer, regardless of "directly" or via
the dock, the behaviour is like this:

FIRST run of dfu-util -l:
sudo ./dfu-util-0.10/src/dfu-util -l
dfu-util 0.10

[cut the disclaimer]

dfu-util: Cannot open DFU device 28e9:0189

 From that, I just get nothing at all, just as if no dfu device was
connected at all.

Looking into lsusb, the device is present before running dfu-util and
gone after running dfu-util. Like I said, I have tested several
connections, so my suspicion now is, that - for whatever reason -
running dfu-util on my Razer makes the SoC "crash" so that it won't be
recognized by the computer any more.
However, I don't see a reason for this. I have checked the dfu-util
binaries, they are identical. Also libusb versions and even the kernels
are identical.

So, I'm not sure this is a bug in dfu-util and I have no expertise in
debugging this any further :(

What could I do from here?

Cheers
   Steffen